Thursday, August 16, 2012

Alpine Slide and the Bungee Jump

While in Colorado, we had the chance to ride an alpine slide. It did not disappoint. You took a chair lift to the top of the slide, and the slide itself snaked down the mountain for 1/2 mile to reach the bottom. It was awesome! You really can't do anything like that in Texas.

Jon is about to race down

Jack and I went down together. He had an absolute blast. We're on the left slide.

And if you squint, you can see me and Jack as we just reached the bottom-

Another fabulous activity was the bungee jump. Jack did it, of course. He's so brave, even though you jump 30 feet or so in the air. I told the guy bouncing Jack to start out slow. For the first good bounce, Jack's eyes got real big with apprehension, and then he'd get used to that height, and then he'd get bounced 10 feet higher and his eyes got all huge again! It was so fun watching him go. We got a pretty good video of Jack flying, see below.


 

And not to be left out of the fun, Jon and I went as well. We went at the same time on adjacent trampolines, so we got to flip together. (Though I was more focused on my extreme height to really pay attention to what he was doing)

 

I think I yelled "it's higher than I thought!" after I got bounced the first time-

   Jon's sister Heather obligingly videoed us-
 

 Jon videoed my second attempt on the bungee tramp. Unfortunately, my harness cut into me a lot the second time around, making flips painful.

What a blast! It was so cool to do all this stuff with Jack. Kids had to be at least 3 (and fairly brave) to do many of these things, so it was great that he was willing to play. The most daunting thing to him wasn't the bungee jump or the alpine slide, but riding the chair lift up to the slide. He had no concept of what a chair lift was, so to jump on it while it moved and then get lifted high up in the air, all without me able to hold him, was a pretty scary experience his first time. His second time around though he had no trouble with it and was relaxed throughout the ride. I hope we get to go back to Colorado again soon, it was awesome!

1 comment:

Tina said...

That looks like so much fun. We got to do those exact same things last year in Utah but I was too scared to do a flip because of my back. You looked great doing yours. How fun!!