Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Nursery

A few weeks ago, our new ward's Elder's Quorum president dropped by for a visit. During our conversation I remarked how excited I was for Jack to start nursery in a few weeks. The EQ prez responded a little smugly, "well, you know, if he stays in nursery. Some kids don't like it, and end up staying with the parents."

Fast forward to a few weeks later... I'm taking Jack to nursery for the first time, and so I ask the teacher if I could stay for awhile. I figured Jack might at least put on a show and cling to my leg for a COUPLE of minutes. Nope, the second I put Jack down he was off and running to the toys, playing with the duplos and car garage, talking to the other kids, and completely ignoring me! Honestly he couldn't have cared less where I was. I actually ended up with another kid in my lap while Jack played with a 3 year old. (At this, he did kind of give me a weird look, as if to say, "Hey kid, that's my spot!") After about 45 minutes of this, I told the nursery leader I might as well leave and enjoy the rest of church. Jack watched me leave the room, and I thought that this might make him cry because he DOES NOT like to see people leave. No, no, he doesn't care. Just goes on playing. After church, Daddy picks Jack up and tells me that he found him sitting on top of the table, taking the crayons out of the bucket and putting them back in the bucket. That sounds about right.

Well, I am thrilled that Jack is so social and happy. And I am especially happy to be able to sit through the last 2 hours of church without him, able to actually listen and participate! At least until the next kid comes around...as my mom happily pointed out to me.

6 comments:

Erin R said...

I must admit that I snickered a little bit about the "until the next kid" part...you know what I was thinking about today? How many years left I have of putting children into carseats. FOREVER.

I'm glad that you have at least 9 months to enjoy, though! ;)

Amy Brinton said...

I've also been a tad disappointed that my boys never held on a little longer, but I'd much rather avoid being an unofficial nursery leader. Cheers to independent boys!

Hang on, you're not pregnant are you?!

Erin said...

Ah, thanks Erin R. for putting that out there! No, I'm not preggers, though my sis-in-law (Erin R.) has dreamt about me being so. Rest assured, when that time comes, I'll post a much more deserving post on our blog.

Erin R said...

I'm just saying that there is AT LEAST 9 months before she's carting around a baby again! Thus Erin couldn't be preggers yet or else it would be less than 9 months. Sorry for the confusion! But ya never know what suprises are coming your way, lol.

That sounds really weird when you say I dreamt about you being pregnant....like it's my desire for you to bear children...though I do love Jack!

Kristi said...

You didn't tell me you were pregnant?! Congratulations. ;)

Brian Nelson said...

I'm glad that Jack is a little social bug. I guess it is part of his secret ninja skills to blend in with the other kids