Thursday, February 27, 2014

Gingerbread Houses

On Christmas Eve we held our first ever Gingerbread house making contest, and it was a blast.
We gathered at my parents' house, and my sisters Teri and Kristi,
and my new brother-in-law Eric were there. We used graham crackers for the construction of the houses, made royal icing and had bowls of varying candies for the decor. We divided into 4 teams: Team Newlywed (Teri & Eric), Team Kristi, Team Jerin, and Team Mimi & Jack. And can I just say? This was my 1st time ever, in my life, to construct a gingerbread house. Crafting is not my thing. But I honestly enjoyed it, perhaps it was the competition of the whole thing. Jon was the architect behind our build,
envisioning a pass-thru driveway and a chimney, while I filled in the details with the windows and a licorice driveway. Jack and Mimi won on the efficiency front. Their house was constructed in about half the time of everyone else's and no space was left untouched by Jack's watchful candy-decorating eye. Kristi had the most unique house, creating an open manger concept complete with a licorice bonfire. The newlyweds were perhaps the most ambitious with their build as they built their house 2-3 stories high with some opulent details. My mom joked that they overbuilt for their neighborhood, haha. When all was said and done, everyone's turned out great and so different! What a fun afternoon.


Can you pick out which house is whose??...


 
 [From left to right: Kristi, Jon/Erin, Mimi/Jack, Eric/Teri]

No comments: