Monday, March 1, 2010

Love & Hate

After living in Fort Worth for over a year now, I've discovered the things I love and hate most about the area. I'll start with the cons first.

CONS

1. TRAFFIC. We live near 2, two-lane highways that should each have atleast 4 lanes. The result is endless congestion at even non-peak hours. The irony is that since moving here, people always exclaim how grateful they are to not live in Dallas and deal with the traffic there! Are you kidding me? This particular two-lane highway we live by was just mentioned on the Yahoo list: "top 50 worst highways in the nation"! Need I say more?


2. Lack of malls. There is 1 mall within 20ish miles of us. ONE?! Not to mention I have to drive through the traffic gauntlet to get there, making it take twice as long as it should. Dear Fort Worth, please build a mall within 10 minutes driving distance. Much appreciated.


3. "Where the West begins." This slogan describes Fort Worth as the last stop before you hit the Western frontier of Texas. I'm not entirely sure if this is a negative or a positive yet. I'm annoyed that the city has a huge population and job base, yet portrays itself as a small town. All this accomplishes is too-small roads, and not enough shopping! Please accomodate the number of people that live here. You are a big city; it is not evil to be a big city.


4. Referencing #3, Fort Worth despises Dallas. It thinks of it as a cosmopolitan, shallow city with no character. Get over it. Dallas has its negatives, but atleast I can get to 5 malls, each within 15 minutes of my parents' house.

5. Trains. This is a train city. And I do mean that. I cross no less than 5 tracks to get to church. And that is just one direction. Go in any other direction, and you're bound to cross a set of tracks. Annoying when you're late getting somewhere. Annoying hearing the train whistles all day and all night long. You can't escape them in this town.

PROS

1. Downtown Fort Worth. I love downtown here. It's clean, architecturally beautiful, got great restaurants, alluring ambiance, and perhaps most importantly: it's safe. This is one thing Dallas does not have- a safe downtown. I can take my son there at night and feel perfectly comfortable. There are lights up in the trees, cobblestone roads, and a great Barnes 'n' Noble for kids' reading. Love it.

2. The Zoo. The Fort Worth Zoo is awesome. It's clean and in a nice neighborhood, which is more than I can say about the Dallas zoo. It's got a variety of animals and a kid-friendly layout, with tree-shaded paths. There's also a train that crosses the zoo in case you don't want to walk all the way across. It's a great zoo.
3. Rosa's. Rosa's is a fabulous Mexican restaurant. I don't know why, but Rosa's is unique to Fort Worth and West Texas. You just won't find it in Dallas. They have delicious homemade tortillas, and paired with the queso- well, life just doesn't get much better. But, then again, I'm a Mexican fanatic.
4. "Where the West begins." On a positive note, at times I enjoy living in a city that prides itself in its western/cowboy heritage. Sites like the FW stockyards are fun to visit. Here you can see old railways, cattle, and small shops filled with cowboy boots, hats, etc. It's something different in a modern world.
5. The Texas Motor Speedway. This racetrack is just up the highway from us. I'm not a Nascar fan or anything, but I figure it's pretty cool to live so close to the track. Who knows, maybe we'll catch an event sometime.
Well that is my most current list of pros/cons, of which I hope the pros will soon overtake the cons.

5 comments:

Erin R said...

We have a Rosa's not too far away from us.

I hope you can find more reasons to love FW! If not you can always move closer to us....lol. ;)

Angela said...

location, location, location! Your cons are not my cons because of the part of town we live in. We never have traffic, we have a mall 5 min away, and bla bla bla. But yep we do have trains.

Since I know we're only here for awhile guess I'll try to enjoy what there is while I can.

You left out that FWISD has a horrible reputation. People camping out to get their kids into Paschal HS is ridiculus.

I like the DAllas zoo. :) So long as you don't mind the occassional ape attack.

Aslinn Rose said...

The malls in Dallas are nice. I really liked the outdoor one we went to over a year and a half ago when you guys lived with your parents. And I enjoyed ice skating at the galleria. I really wish the traffic wasn't so bad and the highways so crazy and confusing. I love going to Dallas for concerts/theater and wish it was more convenient to go. It would be nice to have a temple in Fort Worth since driving to Dallas is so difficult. I guess we just need to build up our faith and do more missionary work. I'll start by changing myself to change the world. So cliche I know.

Brian Nelson said...

You forgot to mention a con is that there isn't a Dairy Queen within 15 miles of your house :)
a pro is that you get to be close to your wonderful and beautiful nieces :)

The Short Family said...

I think the FT. Worth Zoo is much nicer. We also have a Rosas and they have the best tortillas. They are building a second one close by.