Monday, July 13, 2009

Ninja Tales: duped by a 14 month old

Did you ever read the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip as a kid? For some reason Jack made me think of that mischievous blonde boy today...
The Ninja-tot as of late has a very naughty fascination with the trash can. For example, he threw away his brand new, left Nike sandal at my parents' house. Well, if any of you know my mom, you know that the shoe was promptly taken to the curb, where it is now presumably sitting in a trash heap somewhere. Oh, I have the right foot sandal, but honestly, what good does that do me? So as you can see- naughty.
Jack knows that the instant he touches the trash can, stern looks and words come his way. If he still persists (which he almost always does), then he's physically removed from the temptation. Well imagine my annoyance when he persisted in playing with the dang trash can today. I come around the corner- where he gives me the cutest, most adorable smile imaginable- and have to fight to keep a stern face. Well he comes right up to me, pushes on my legs, and walks behind me while holding my legs. This is a new and fun game to him, where you just try not to trip while walking with him in between your legs. Okay, Mommy sits down, fun over. The Ninja-tot walks straight back to the trash can, knowing FULL WELL that it's trouble! So the gullible mommy follows and again gives the stern look, when Jack is just flashing that Tom Cruise-esque smile at me and then walks right up to me and pushes on my legs again, for the second time. Okay, Mommy lets him push her around for awhile, and then sits down- fun over. A THIRD TIME, the Ninja-tot goes to the forbidden trash can...annoyed mother now quickly follows, where he immediately leaps from the trash can (and I kid you not, he nearly sprinted at me), grabs my legs and pushes me around to play his game. Have you caught on yet? Because it took me THREE times of this routine to figure out that the Ninja-tot had been using the trash can to lure me out into the open! He never had any intention of playing with the dang trash can, actually using my annoyance with it to his own advantage, so he could push my legs around! Seriously, this boy is sneaky.
What have I gotten myself into?

6 comments:

Amy Brinton said...

You've got a clever one there, Erin. Yesterday my cleverest duped me into giving him two bowls of ice cream and a popsicle all on the same night!

Erin R said...

Just imagine life with more sneaky little children....maybe you and Jon should not make such a clever child next time ;)

Erin R said...

a true manipulator, just like another jack we like to watch on tv :)

Erin R said...

the 2nd Erin R is actually Ryan R. teehee

I Love Freedom said...

Hmmmm, I'm guessing that the DNA he shares with his parents is the true cause of this sneakiness. I'm not quite sure where the sneakiness began, but I'm sure it goes back a few generations! I bet he plays a mean game of korea in a few years!

Gma N

Brian Nelson said...

He's so sneaky. Who knows what devious games he has in store for you...