Thursday, June 11, 2009

How my sleep eludes me

Curse the new tenants, new dog, thunderstorms, and car alarms.

For those of you who don't know me well, I love my sleep. I cherish it in fact. I look forward to going to bed and falling into blissful slumber. But, this week, it is not meant to be. For the past 4 nights, my long-lost friend known as sleep has gone missing. For the culprits, refer to the list above! The tenants above us, for the past WEEK have been stomping around and moving. Why does it take more than a week to move out of a place, I have no idea! It's not like it's a spacious manision, or even a cozy house....it is exactly the size of a 1100 sq ft, 2 bedroom apartment. How much stuff do they have to move? Okay, to be fair I really don't mind the noise during the day...it's at 4 in the MORNING that it bothers me! Yes, the first night of my sleepless journey was due to stomping sounds above me the entire night. Did I mention I love my sleep?

The next culprit is a new dog in the neighborhood: a large animal with a deep-resounding bark that echoes thru my apartment. It is made worse that this large dog seems to have made enemies with the local yippy dog, so that they yip and bark back and forth at each other. And of course, this seems to always happen during Jack's nap (and duh, when I'm in bed).

The final culprit is perhaps the most amusing one in this whole mess. Last night there were major thunderstorms in our area, causing the power to go out multiple times. Bedtime rolled around, and the storms were still hitting overhead. I was in my comfy bed, right at the spot where you're on the edge of sweet oblivion, when a thunderous roar sounded- and immediately following, multiple car alarms. The thunder was so loud and amplified that it set off the car alarms! So for the next half hour while trying to fall asleep, there'd be the clap of thunder swiftly followed by the annoying car alarms.

I have little hope tonight for a much improved sleep. Sigh.

5 comments:

Erin R said...

Ugh! That's awful...maybe you too shall soon sport grey hairs? jk. I wouldn't want that for you.

I know how annoying neighbors who are moving can be...and dogs...and those storms were unbelievable! It thundered from 2am until 11am. Ridiculous. I almost miss those West Tx showers...hmm...almost!

Amy Brinton said...

Erin, this post cracks me up because I know how much you LOVE your sleep. I'm sorry! Eric uses earplugs sometimes--I can't stand them, though.

Kristi said...

it's called ear plugs. invest in them. it's annoying, but it works. Trust me, I know.

Jill said...

So how are Jon and Jack surviving your sleeplessness? jk. Are the neighbors really moving round the clock? Well, I hope they and the dogs calm down for a change and your sweet dreams return!

Ali said...

okay, okay. I haven't slept well in two years. Where's the pictures of your cute baby?