Thursday, May 5, 2011

Extreme Home Makeover: Nesting Edition

This past pregnancy I enjoyed my nesting instinct, (or should I say suffered from?). When pregnant with Jack, we were in the midst of a move when he was born and then settled into my parents' house for awhile, so I never satisfied my urge to nest. I think I may have overcompensated for that this time around. That is why I am not sure which word to use in reference to my nesting: enjoy or suffer? After the fact, I'm glad we did as much as we did, but yeesh, I sure stressed myself out on having everything be PERfect before Jason arrived. Take a look for yourself:


I wish I had a before picture for the landscaping, but there was a front row of bushes in place of the flowers here, which Jon happily dug out for me! I planted flowers instead and love how it brightens the yard. Unfortunately, a hail storm just rolled thru town before this photo, so they're a bit downtrodden looking.Sorry for the poor picture taking....replaced the old brass light fixture here with this new one. Love it!Replaced the old white/brass living room fan with this new one, and then moved the old fan into the baby's room.Jason's new ceiling fan (re: old living room fan) in his room. Now we're ready for the summer heat.... Jason's room, pre-Jason:Did a LOT of work here, since this space was basically our storage room before. Cleared out lots of things and then pained the blue wall, hung new curtains, rearranged the furniture, organized the closet, and decorated.

Freshly painted with new window treatment


I framed different fabrics for Jason's room- baseballs, cars/trains/planes, and footballs.


Jason's letters- I love these colors and really enjoyed painting the letters.


Not to be left out, Jack got some new framed wall art too, with soccer and football as his sports. I really don't like how off-center his name looks here, but we didn't move the left frame over farther because Jack could reach it from his bed if we did.


Our kitchen cabinets before, a lovely boring shade of bleach or something...


And AFTER:


Love the new color with the handles. Now our countertops and floor look better, and the cabinets flow with the living room furniture/wall. I will say: what a pain!!!! Take the cabinet doors and drawers out, sand them, prime them, paint them, paint them again, and re-install. Then touch-ups, and handles. I think I was a little insane to start this just 3 weeks before Jason arrived!


We wouldn't have replaced the kitchen faucet, but the old one died. At least the new one is much prettier and matches our new handles.


Exhale a big sigh of relief, now all that's over with! I love all the improvements! Mega-thanks to my hubby for doing all the work I created for ourselves! He took down old light fixtures, installed new ones, dug out bushes, sanded/painted more than he cared to, and took care of his crazy preggers wife. Love you!

4 comments:

GATORNATION said...

I love it!! Can't wait to see it in person. Great job!!!

GATORNATION said...

This is Tina by the way

Erin said...

Thanks for clarifying who you were! I was wondering who this gatornation person was who wanted to see my house in person!! haha.

Ashley Dickman said...

Looks GREAT!!!